Saturday, October 2, 2010

Blog Assignment # 6

animation of a teacher in the front writing on chalkboard, and students with computers raising their cell phones up

The Networked Student: by Wendy Drexler
   I thought this video was very good and gave an insight into what the future of teaching is going to be. The 21st century student is a networked student. They spend a limited amount of time in the classroom and an unlimited time on the web, according to the video. Students are rarely lectured and have more assignments and work on the computer. 
  This seems to be very true already. Almost all of my classes have more work, readings, and assignments online than in the actual classroom. Especially this class, EDM 310. All of our work is online and is basically what this video was describing. We have Dr. Strange who is the professor of the class that is guiding us on how to network with others and be able to be connected across the world. We learn how to teach ourselves and how to communicate with others about what we have learned. I also liked how the student can ask a scientist a question like for example the example given in the video about American Psychology, he asked them a question and then he could get the scientist to skype the class and let them talk about what they do and give their opinions. That would be really neat to have in the classroom.
  I really think that having a networked student will be very good, sometimes it is challenging to do some of these things online but in the end I learn a lot more by doing it. I have learned so much about technology and how I can do something other than lectures and powerpoints in the classroom. Having your class be full of networks students , makes the classroom much more entertaining and students learn more. 

A 7th grader's personal learning environment (or PLE)
I thought this video was very interesting. I have not seen something like that before, I don't know if I was supposed to already see it? I liked how she could have all of her class related links on the bottom and her own favorites on the top of the page. I also liked how she said for her science class she could watch videos and read about what their lesson would be on that day. She also said that the class was mainly about animals and she could do research on an animal and send that information to the rest of her class on the blog. It's just another more entertaining way for students to research and learn.

The Machine Is Changing Us: Michael Wesch
  Mr. Wesch made a very good presentation, it kept my attention the entire time. His use of video clips was entertaining. It sounds to me like his class would be a lot of fun, and very interesting. He said he had a group of his students do research about the YouTube phenomenon. I remember how one of his students said that by making videos on YouTube to talk to people it makes it an easier conversation and that you do not have the uncomfortable staring and glaring like in person. I don't have a lot of personal experience with what Mr. Wesch was talking about because I am just now getting into all of that stuff because of EDM. I am really enjoying it though. I think his idea of getting people to stop caring about only themselves and start caring about doing whatever they can for an issue is great. By having the technology to spread messages across the world, we can create change and create awareness about issues in this world to everyone that has access to it.   

1 comment:

  1. You are correct. In EDM310 we try to provide a connectivist approach to learning. Very thorough and well written commentary! Thanks!

    No. We try to help you discover new ideas and new things every week.

    Thoughtful. Well written. Quite well done. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete